It’s that time of year when everyone starts to wish for something a little better for the new Year and beyond. This is probably especially the case after a year of popularity contests that have left many confused. So without any fanfare please see below the ten things Sports Fans want for Christmas and throughout next year.
1. When pictured together that all top sporting administrators stop looking like that they have just enjoyed an expensive lunch together congratulating one another on another successful decision.
2. Sam Allardyce doesn’t get another job until at least season 2017-18. However sorry he is and however many times he tells the tabloids he’s ready for the right job.
3. Brian Moore, Piers Morgan and The Real Donald Trump form a celebrity front-row in a push off with a scrum machine in a muddy field near Runcorn.
4. Cricket commentators and the public stop trying to second guess Alistair Cook and his next move. And basing it on the impossible job of leading a team in India with limited spinners and an attacking batting line up without mentioning the selectors. Fraser, Whittaker, anyone….?
5. The honours system for sports people is seriously looked at and they don’t award things to people who are still competing and likely to fall foul of some investigation or other. See Sirs Brailsford, Wiggins for a start…
6. Governing bodies look at a weather forecast and historical data before awarding major events to places that are patently unsuitable. The ongoing debate is boring and easily avoided. Winter where it snows.
7. The British & Irish Lions tour to New Zealand is a resounding success for all and the players emerge unscathed and, following a length of the field try by Stuart Hogg, victorious in the series 2 -1.
8. The Australian cricket team ‘beat’ their lowest total ever when they are bowled out for 24 by England on Boxing Day at the ‘G’.
9. Charlotte Dujardin decides to bring Valegro out of retirement for one final ride and at the end of the gymkhana Charlotte removes her hat and peels back a mask to reveal that she is in fact Vladimir Putin.
10. Maddie Hinch turns up in the office and proposes to me. We travel to the nearest hockey pitch where she lets me whack hockey balls at her for a whole day. I gratefully decline the proposal but we have a drink together to celebrate everything that is great about sport.
Happy Christmas from all at Living With the Lions. May all your wishes come true next year.